Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Sprouting Indoors with Soil


Well, with 5 inches + of snow on the ground, today may be the best time to concentrate on indoor gardening.


I recently attended Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach Florida where I learned a bit more about sprouting. Brian Hetrich, the head gardener at HHI, had a wonderful lecture on the procedure for sprouting sunflower, buckwheat, wheat grass and peas.

I have been sprouting in an Easy Sprouter and jars, but not with these seeds. These seeds need to be planted in soil for the best yield. It is much easier then I thought it might be.

You really only need  2 growing containers, soil, water, seeds and indirect lighting. I recommend organic potting soil mix for the best results. I am using growing trays and garden lights just because I have them.



If you soak and sprout your seeds 24 hours before planting, you will have a higher success rate for germination. I soak mine for 12 hours then drain and rinse and let sprout, out of  light,  for another 12 - 24 hours. Rinse your seeds 2 to 3 times a day while sprouting them.

I purchased my growing trays at the local Agway for a few dollars and the organic soil in the garden center at Lowes. I am using organic seeds that I purchased online just to make sure they aren't GMO's.

Make sure you have good drainage holes in the bottom of your containers. If they aren't there you can punch a few in yourself with a sharp object. I use an old ice pick.



Spread 1/2 inch of your potting mix in the bottom of your container. Pick out any large pieces of bark or twigs if you have them. Place the second container inside the first and press down firmly to compress the soil and then remove it. Spray with water.


After your seeds have soaked and sprouted, spread them in a single layer across the soil and water. Make sure when watering that you don't flush the seeds out of position. Use a watering can with a sprinkler head or pour the water through a colander.


Place the second container back onto the seeds and let it sit in the dark for 48 hours or until the sprouts push the top container up an inch or two. Water the seeds once a day.

When the sprouts start to push the second container up, about 1-2 inches, you can remove it.  Place the sprouts in a spot where they get indirect lighting and this will help them grow tall and green.  I use this procedure for all of these seeds.


Harvest sunflower sprouts when the third leaf appears, buckwheat, when the majority of the shells have fallen off, and wheat grass when the second blade of grass starts to appear.  Approximately 10 days from planting.


Buckwheat

                                     


Sunflower


Wheat Grass


I harvest my sprouts with a pair of kitchen scissors. Make sure you harvest dry sprouts, they will last longer in the refrigerator, usually 5-8 days. P.S. Wheat Grass should be juiced!

Happy Indoor Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment