Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dehydrating Apples



Dehydrating apples is very easy to do if you have a dehydrator. Begin by washing and drying your apples if you intend to leave the skin on. To keep the apples from turning brown you need put them in a bowl with water and one tablespoon of lemon juice. Take a large sharp knife to cut the apples into one quarter inch slices from blossom end to stem end and remove the core. Place them in the lemon water.


After you have the amount needed to fill your dehydrator, lay the slices on your trays in one layer with no overlaps. I have a thermostat on my dehydrator and set it at 140. I let it run overnight for approximately twelve to fourteen hours. You will know that the apples are finished if they snap when broken. If they are bending and not snapping you will need to run the dehydrator a bit longer.


 Store your dehydrated apples in an airtight container to keep them fresh. I have been able to keep mine for several months so far. I love having these apple snacks handy when I need something sweet and crunchy.





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment