Saturday, October 23, 2010

Indoor Vegetable Gardening

Outdoor growing season is coming to an end here in south central Pennsylvania. Last night we had our first frost with temps in the low 30's. Fortunately, last week I decided to bring two pepper plants, two tomato starts and some leafy greens indoors to try growing them over the winter. 

My peppers were already in 5 gal buckets.  I used straight compost mixed with some azomite mineral dust that I added to regenerate the soil. They are sitting by a south facing window that gets indirect sunlight until 12pm (blocked by trees) and direct sunlight thru 3pm. This will change when the leaves fall and hopefully will get at least 5 hrs of direct light. The temp inside ranges from 62 at night to 70's in the sun. I have been watering them about once a week but keep an eye on them because of the direct sunlight.



The tomato starts I picked off of the healthiest plants that I had in the garden. Just pinched the tops off and stuck them in the pot with compost and azomite mix. They haven't been faring as well. I think the direct sunlight is too harsh for them so I have been shading them a bit.  I have been watering as needed.



The lettuce and spinach were started in the raised bed a few weeks ago. I transplanted the lettuce and spinach into a window box that I had been using outside. Again, I added some compost and azomite to the existing soil.  I water as needed since these are just seedlings. So far all are doing well.  

If you are able to bring some vegetable plants inside for the winter I encourage you to give it a try. What do we have to lose anyway? If you already have the plant you just need an empty container with a few drainage holes, some good soil and a sunny window!

I will be updating results to keep track of this indoor gardening experience.

Happy Gardening

No comments:

Post a Comment