Thursday, March 17, 2011

Easy Backyard Coldframe HoopHouse

I wanted to get a head start on my gardening season and thought a coldframe would do the trick. Much to my surprise there were quite a few tutorials of different styles out in the internet world. This one seemed to be the easiest and least expensive. Total cost under $20.


I am putting this coldframe/hoophouse over my exsisting 4 by 8 raised bed.
For this size you will need:

5 - 1/2 " - 10' pvc pipes--cut to 6' length by clerk
1 pack of 10 - 1/2" brackets
Clear 3mm clear plastic to cover frame
Drill with 1/8" bit
Wood screws- 1"
Clamps to hold plastic onto ribs



Start with 1/2 "  brackets. Mark where you want the brackets to sit on your frame. I just eyeballed it around 2" from top of wood. Drill on the mark and then screw brackets in place. Don't completely tighten until the pvc pipe is in place. I started at the end and measured about 1 1/2' between brackets  for my 8' length. Do this for all 10 brackets. 


Once you have the brackets in place you can attach pvc pipe one end at a time. Pull plastic over the ribs and cut off excess if you like. I did not because I will use it for other projects. I use clamps to hold plastic on so it is easy to open . When finished it kinda looks like a covered wagon.





You could make a 4 by 8 frame for the frame (if that makes sense) to put directly over the ground where you have your garden. Just use some 2 by 4's to make the frame.

This is a temporary fix to jump start on my cold weather crops...I have been using it for the last 2 weeks and it is doing very well. I am making a taller one for my tomato and pepper raised bed too.

When the weather permits, just take off the plastic and pull out the piping. Much easier to store than a hard construction coldframe.

Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment