Thursday, March 24, 2011

Update on HoopHouse and Indoor Seed Starts

Just a quick update on the progress of the indoor seed starts and the hoophouse seedlings. Everything is going well and the hoophouse is up just in time for a cold spell we are having this week here in South Central PA.


 The indoor/outdoor rope lights are working very well to heat the seedlings. The peppers, basil and tomatoes seem to like the heat.  I do notice that I am watering more often but I guess that is to be expected. I did add a piece of aluminum foil over the light for reflection and I am rotating the tray every other day. 


The seedlings in the hoophouse are doing very well. I have watered only when needed to keep soil moist.  Also,  have been opening the ends and sides when the temperature gets up over 50 degrees. The air circulation is needed to prevent mold and/or stem rot, otherwise it would be too wet.
 

As you can see from the photos, the lettuce and spinach (started indoors) are growing fast and I see kale, swiss chard, arugula, bok choi and pak choi coming up.


I hope you are enjoying the new gardening season.
Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment