Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Gardening with Garbage

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!!  Garbage is an inexpensive way to garden inside and out. I have been reusing food containers to start seeds and to grow vegetable plants in for several years.

I have used all sorts of food containers in the past and still use certain sizes for starting my seeds or container gardening outside. I go to a local restaurant to get free 5 and 3 gallon buckets for growing my peppers, tomatoes, squash etc.  I have been using  the milk jug containers for a birdseed scoop and a cover to protect seedlings from frost. Just cut the bottom off and there you have it. Comes with it's own built in handle!


Today I am using an aluminum pie pan to start my marigold and cardinal climber seeds. I have also used the 1 lb deli container, bulk salad container(my favorite),  juice jugs, produce containers that berries or tomatoes come in and many more similar type containers including large plastic to go cups from your local fast food restaurant. Use the lids to create a mini greenhouse.


Just be sure that you wash throughly and punch holes in the bottom for adequate drainage. Once you start to look at these containers as growing pots, you will find that the selection is endless. You may want to save yourself some $$ while helping the environment and give it a try. 

Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment