Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hummingbirds....They're Back!!

Lounging out on the patio last night, I spotted my first hummingbird of the season. It was a male and that would make sense because the males usually arrive first to scout out food and nesting sites. I put out my hummingbird feeders on tax day, just in case I have some early arrivals, even though the earliest I have seen them is around the 20th and this year was no exception.


They are very territorial and will defend their area from other males and that is just what happened. After watching the feeder for few minutes another male came in and dive bombed the first male for the feeder.



If you have hummingbirds it is best to put out two or more feeders in places where one can not see the others.
After watching for a minute I went in and filled up another feeder and put it out on the other side of the house.


You do not need to put red dye into the solution...just have red on the feeder. The sugar nectar is very easy to make and much cheaper then buying the mix.

Boil 4 parts water and then add 1 part sugar.
Cool your nectar quicker by substituting 1/2 the water with ice.
Example: I boil 2 cups water then add 1 cup sugar then add 2 cups of ice. This way you can put your nectar out right away with out having to wait for it to cool off.


Seeing my first hummingbird of the season gives me the sense that spring is truly here.
Oh what joy they bring!

Happy Bird Watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment