Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Potatoes in a Bucket

Growing potatoes takes a bit of garden space which I don't have so I decided to try them in buckets.

I picked up a few 5 gallon buckets at a local restaurant for free and drilled some drainage holes in the bottom. Mixed up my soil with 1 part compost, 1 part peat moss, 1 part vermiculite and filled approximately 1/4 of the bucket.


I didn't buy the seed potatoes they sell at the garden center but used some of my organic potatoes that had sprouted under my counter. Potatoes you would buy at the grocery store are treated with chemicals so I don't believe they would work. If you are using potatoes you already have just make sure they are labeled organic.


Cut the potatoes into quarters with at least two sprouts or eyes on each, place them in the soil and cover them with 2-3 inches of additional soil. I put 2 pieces in each 5 gal bucket. As they grow I will add more soil until it is level with the top of the bucket.


When growing in a container you must make sure your soil doesn't dry out for long periods of time. Keep an eye on the weather and hand water as needed to keep moist. Update to follow this fall.

Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment