Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Planting Tomatoes in a HoopHouse

I hope you took advantage of the 50 cent tomato plants at Lowes over the weekend. I picked up 4 and will be planting them out today. I know it is still early for our area but with a little help from some pvc piping and a clear plastic tarp, I think they will be fine.



I am using the same 1/2 " pvc piping and brackets as in my previous post but only using three pieces since this raised bed is 4 by 4 and two for the 3 by 3. The 10 ' piece will be cut to '8 for the 4' bed and 6' for the 3' bed.


The last frost date for our area is April 28th but that doesn't mean the temperatures won't take a dip in the near future. If you are putting out your tomatoes or any warm weather crop right now make sure you watch the temperature.

Tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and annuals don't like to be out in temps under 50 degrees and peppers don't like temps under 60. Just make sure if the temp does drop that you cover your plants with plastic, newspaper or cloth.

Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment