Thursday, April 7, 2011

Planting Peas and Brussel Sprouts

It is a beautiful day here in South Central PA so I decided to plant my second round of peas. I am amending the soil with Azomite rock minerals. It is suppose to help boost the minerals in the vegetables according to growingyourgreens.com. I follow John on his channel and have learned many useful gardening tips from him.


You may want to try a nylon trellis for your peas. This is the third season for mine. It works really well and has held up to the outside elements. 


 It is time to put out your brassica family plants if you haven't already. I am trying my hand at brussel sprouts this year. Hopefully with six plants I should reap a good yield.

When planting vegetable starts I like to dig  a trench the depth of the root ball. Lay the plant on its side and cover with soil. Stand the plant up and then push the soil around the other side. I think this method helps eliminate any air pockets around the root system which could cause a puddle of water resulting in root rot.


Always be sure to give your transplant a good soaking so the root system can take hold in its new environment.


Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment